Friday, May 22, 2009

#39 Honeysuckle Rose



Clocking in at almost a full 2 hours, Honeysuckle Rose is a struggle to get through ... If you don't like Willie Nelson.
Lucky for me I don't mind watching Willie and Family perform.
Nelson plays a traveling country singer named Buck whose long-time guitarist retires. Buck's new guitar then becomes the daughter of the old guitar player, and she seems to have a VERY large crush on Buck.
The film follows Buck and his band (Nelson's actual touring band) as they embark on their tour, leaving behind a wife and small child.
It is a story I don't find very original, but still got very sucked in.
If you don't like Willie Nelson though, I think you'd have a hard time sitting through all the performances waiting for the story to continue. Not to say the performances aren't needed, most of the time they are used to progress the story. However, I could easily see this film being cut down by a good half hour of Willie performances and not really lose much.

Verdict:
4 stars out of 5
It was nothing groundbreaking or even very original. But the story was really well told and the filming was good, especially the concert pieces.

Awards:
Nominated for a Best Music, Original Song Oscar for the song On The Road Again.
Disagree - It should have won. This is not that great of a song, but I find it funny that the song lost to a song from fame. I think you'll find this one has a bit more lasting power to it. Of course by the time the movie was coming to an end, I was a bit sick of hearing it.
Won a Worst Supporting Actress Razzie for Amy Irving.
Disagree - I thought she played the part perfectly and didn't even deserve the nomination, much less the win.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of times the Razzies are more interested in picking on someone just cuz they are who they are, as opposed to the performance being terrible. I think Amy Irving must have been on their shitlist for marrying Spielberg, for some reason. Not really sure!

    ReplyDelete