Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bonus - Squeeze Play



B-B-B-B movie!
Boobs, Butts, Baseball and Beer.
It was raunchy, but I wouldn't call it a sexploitation film.
Made by Lloyd Kaufman during Troma's Pre-Toxic Avenger days. The story focuses on a group of men who'd rather play softball than be with their women. Of course once the game is over the adrenaline seems to turn them into incredibly horny monsters who like to grope anything they see. This leads the women to organize their own softball team to take them on.
Between this there's some good "couple" development. One falling apart and one just beginning. There's more than just the TnA to keep the viewer watching.
On such a small budget the filming looked almost good and most of the characters were pretty well played. Of course it was pretty similar characters as most Troma films, Guys who are jerks, women who are sexy, and kids who are brats.

The Verdict:
2.5 stars (out of 5)
Sexist? Sure, but at least it tells you it's sexist and the girls stand up for themselves, where most movies just show that the women like being poked and prodded.
All-in-all, this was a pretty enjoyable movie. Had some good laughs, and I actually cared about some of the characters and storyline.
I'm kind of a sucker for these late-night style comedies. As a young man just discovering the opposite sex, I would regularly try and stay up late to sneak in a few movies on USA's Up All Night. Although these were heavily edited they were great for a young man heading into puberty, and I found they were about more than just the girls, they were also about very low-brow humor. So I guess you could say I grew up on the stuff. And I still find it funny! So maybe I'm a little biased, but it was a fun movie.

Awards:
Not really the type of movie to receive or be nominated for any major awards.

Memorable moments and quotes:
"Just think about all the kids and silverware we'll have when we're married."

The wet T-shirt contest.
This was memorable to me, because as I look back it sticks out that this scene lasted a REALLY long time. Obviously Kaufman wanted to show as much T in this scene as possible, but when you watch it he keeps enough going on during the contest to make it all flow. And that is really surprising for a movie like this.

The softball announcer.
This guy added a lot of humor to the movie.

Box Office:
Ha. My guess is pretty limited to drive-in theaters in the day.
But with the obviously low budget, it probably made enough.

Overall:
If you like Raunchy sports comedies you could do a lot worse I'm sure.
I would probably never seek this out again, but if it was on TV sometime, I'd watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment